Malinda Kathleen Reese, who is also known as simply, Malinda, is an American musician, songwriter, YouTuber and actor, who is most likely known for her Google Translate Sings series. Malinda was born in New York City on June 27th, 1994, and grew up with her mother, Mary Hall Surface, who is a director, playwright and teacher, her father is Kevin Reese, who has acted in productions from Arena Stage to the Kennedy Center, and her two brothers, whose names are currently unknown.
Malinda created her YouTube channel in 2010, but started posting videos in 2012. Her first videos were her old performaces at Sidwell Friends School.
It was at Vassar, where she switched into the theater program, that she listened to a version of "Let It Go" from the Disney movie Frozen sung by 25 women in 25 languages. She noticed that the Spanish translation wasn’t quite literal, and she wondered how it would sound if she put it back into English using Google Translate. The results were funny, so she started doing it in other languages. She assembled all the mistranslations into a song that she could sing. In February of 2014, she posted a video of Let It Go from Frozen according to Google Translate, that being her most popular video, which was the beginning of her series Google Translate Sings and her comedian career, that still continues to this day. Read more about Malinda here.
- ...that Malinda was part of an acapella group called The Vastards during her college years?
- ...that Malinda has a pet dog named Selanna?
- ...that Malinda performed the musical ONCE on several Broadway shows in 2019?
- ...that Malinda went viral on social media after she posted a video of her singing in a church during her trip to Spain?
- ...that Malinda has appeared in several videos on the Fine Brothers Entertainment's channel?
- ...that Malinda opened a show for The Gregory Brothers on December 6th, 2018?
- ...that the Google Translate Sings series has over 100 episodes?